National Essential Tremor Awareness Month may be over, but efforts to raise awareness don’t have to end on March 31. What if we didn’t just commit ourselves to raising awareness one month out of the year? What if we made a conscious effort to connect throughout the year with our communities to raise awareness about ET? Every day is a great day to increase awareness in your community! ET Awareness can be described as anything you do to help people understand what ET is, why the International Essential Tremor Foundation exists and how we can connect with others to fund more research to find better treatment options and a cure. Our efforts combined throughout the year to raise awareness could help so many people with ET live better lives, find treatment options that work for them and provide support for one another.
Raising awareness throughout the year can be a small or big project, the important part is that we are all keeping ET in the forefront of conversations and increasing the number of connections to the IETF mission. Raising awareness can be as simple as committing your office to hosting a “Jeans Day” each Friday with proceeds benefiting the IETF or distributing IETF materials to your local neurologist or physician. The possibilities are endless. Below are easy examples of how you can continue to raise awareness in your community beyond the month of March.
- Share our posts on Facebook, Twitter and Google + with friends.
- Post ET facts and hand out free IETF awareness posters around school, local businesses and your office to educate others about ET.
- Start a Support Group in your area.
- Computer Screen Savers: Add the IETF logo to your screen saver and send it to your friends and everyone in your family! Or simply create a text screen saver on your own computer that others will see when you’re away from your desk.
- Share your story and get an article in your local paper: Contact your local newspaper about media outreach opportunities. You can also include information about how people can contribute.
- Meet the Press: Does your company distribute a newsletter? Does your company have intra-office email? Take advantage of these…it’s a perfect way to get the word out about ET.
- Universities & Colleges: Contact your local schools and ask if you can put an advertisement in their school newsletter to create greater awareness. Some organizations may even invite you to make a short presentation.
- Write to your local politicians: You supported them; don’t you think they should support you?
Have you had a successful awareness event? Connect with us to share your story. Your ideas could inspire others to get involved in creating more awareness for ET. ET awareness can happen 365 days a year. Start today!